03 5968 3666

Criminal Law & Intervention Orders

Criminal Law

Our Criminal Law & Interventions Orders team is led by partner, Marcus Adams.

Our team works with clients who have been fined or charged by Police (or other enforcement agencies) and also with clients wanting to apply for, respond to or vary an Intervention Order.

Please note that clients should seek legal advice prior to attending police interviews (where possible) or alternatively immediately after being interviewed, fined and/or charged.

We have assisted clients with criminal prosecutions, including:

  • Assaults
  • Violence (including domestic violence offences)
  • Threats to harm or kill
  • Drug offences
  • Firearm or dangerous weapon offences
  • Murder or Manslaughter
  • Perjury
  • Robbery
  • Sexual offences
  • Burglary
  • Theft
  • Fraud offences
  • Tax and Centrelink offences
  • Dog attacks

We can also provide assistance with driving / traffic prosecutions, including:

  • Drink and drug driving
  • Driving whilst suspended
  • Driving whilst unlicensed
  • Driving whilst disqualified
  • Driving an unregistered motor vehicle
  • Speeding
  • Improper use of a motor vehicle
  • Driving in a careless or dangerous manner
  • Driving in a manner that endangers life

Our Lawyers regularly appear at Court to represent clients however, depending on the charges, we may suggest that a Barrister appear on your behalf, particularly in cases before the County and Supreme Courts.

We can provide assistance for appeals from the Magistrates’ to the County Court, from the County Court to the Supreme Court and even from the Supreme Court to the High Court.

Criminal Law

Intervention Orders

Please note that if you are in immediate danger or feel unsafe you should contact the Police on triple zero (000).

It is important to understand the differences in two types of intervention orders that can be ordered in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria and they are as follows:

1. Family violence intervention orders (FVIO)
A court order aimed to protect a person, their children and their property from a family member, partner or ex-partner.

A family violence Intervention order (FVIO) may be known as a domestic violence order (DVO), intervention order, protection order, family violence order (FVO) or a violence restraining order (VRO) in other Australian states and territories.

2. Personal safety intervention orders (PSIO)
A court order aimed to protect a person, their children and their property from another person’s behaviour.

Personal safety intervention orders may also be known as a restraining order or apprehended violence order in other Australian states and territories.

If you would like to assistance to apply for an intervention order, respond to an intervention order or seek to change, vary or cancel an existing intervention order our team can assist with your application to the Magistrates’ Court.

This may include:

  • interim orders
  • final orders
  • family violence safety notices
  • police intervention orders

It is also important to understand that if an order has been made and a respondent breaches the conditions, the police may charge that person with a criminal offence. Breaches of intervention orders are taken very seriously by the Court and may result in a fine, bond, prison sentence and/or criminal record.

We are also able to assist clients understand the requirements of other intervention orders or other domestic violence orders made in other Australian states or territories.

For further advice, please contact our office on telephone (03) 5968 3666 or email office@falconeadams.com.au and we will put you in contact with our Criminal Law & Intervention Orders team.

Intervention Orders